A huge favorite in my family is Me Me’s Lemon “Ice-Box” Pie. The name comes from the pre refrigeration days, the “Ice-Box” kept everything cold. This pie is a make ahead, put in the refrigerator pie, served cold. It is the perfect combination of tart, creamy and sweet decadence. The condensed milk, lemon zest and graham cracker crust combination will put a smile on your face. My mother-in-law, Me Me, always makes at least two pies for a family dinner, everyone always wants seconds!
Graham Cracker Crust:
- 4 Tablespoons melted butter
- 1 ½ to 2 cups of crushed graham cracker crumbs
- 2 Tablespoons of sugar.
- Spray pie plate with nonstick spray.
- Mix together all ingredients in a bowl. Form crust in the prepared pie plate, press down crust firmly.
- Bake at 375 degrees for 8 to 10 minutes. Remove from oven
- 1 Can sweetened condensed milk
- 3 lemons
- 3 eggs
- 1/3 cup of sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon of cream of tarter
- Separate eggs. Grate or zest the rind of one lemon (more if you like). Squeeze juice of the lemons. In a medium bowl combine egg yolks, lemon juice, lemon zest and condensed milk, mix well together pour into pie shell.
- Meringue: In a separate bowl beat egg whites until almost stiff. Add cream of tarter. Continue beating and add sugar. Put meringue on top of pie. Bake at 400 degrees until lightly brown. About 5 minutes.
- Allow to cool then keep in refrigerator until ready to serve.