When you think of bees, you may immediately think of the negative – stings! However, bees are an important and necessary part of our ecosystem. Read up and #BeeAmazed! Here are five surprising facts you probably didn’t know about bees:
- Bees are responsible for pollinating and cross-pollinating one third of theworld’s crops! Actually, 70 of the top 100 human food crops (which supply about 90% of the world’s nutrition) are pollinated by bees. That means without bees, there would be no avocado or watermelon to enjoy all summer!
- Bees communicate with each other by dancing and usingpheromones (a chemical substance released by animals). Honey bees “dance” in a figure eight shape and use this method to share where food is located with their hive.
- Their population is shrinking There is just 2.5 million honey bee colonies in the U.S. today, compared to 6 million colonies in 1947. It’s up to our generation to help #SaveTheBees!
- They’re quick! Bees stroke their wings 11,400 times per minute.
- There’s a reason the phrase “busy as a bee” exists. A colony of worker bees can have between 50,000 to 60,000 workers. Workers feed the queen bee and their hexagonal combs support up to 25 times their own weight!
Instead of using pesticides to keep bees away, be prepared in the event you encounter a bee sting. Sting-Kill is the number-one choice among pharmacists for bee stings and the number-one consumer rated product for insect bite relief and insect bite treatments. Here’s where you can buy Sting-Kill.