What is a Southern girl without a good tea bread recipe? Looking for a good recipe and this one is outstanding; my sister shared this recipe with me many years ago. Nothing is better than a quick pick-me-up of Lemon Tea Bread, served alone or with ice cream and fresh fruit, and a tall glass of lemonade at the end of meal. I love lemon zest, so I have been known to add a little more. Lemon Cello gives a gourmet taste if you want to pour a little bit of the liquor when serving the bread. This bread freezes well and has been known to “bail-me-out” with last minute desserts or spontaneous invitations for coffee.
- ½ Cup butter ( I use unsalted)
- 2 Eggs
- 1 ½ Cups flour
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 Cup Sugar
- 1 ½ lemon rind finely grated ( zest)
- 1 ½ teaspoons Baking Powder
- ½ cup milk
- ¼ cup Powdered Sugar
- Juice of 1 ½ lemons
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease & flour bread pan.
- Cream butter and add sugar gradually, working until light and fluffy. Add eggs one at a time and best until light. Add lemon zest.
- In a separate bowl, combine dry ingredients and add to the sugar/butter mixture alternating with milk, ending with flour mixture. Beat on low speed only until mixtures are combined.
- Pour batter into loaf pan, bake for one hour or until a wooden toothpick inserted in the center is withdrawn clean.
- While the bread is baking, prepare glaze by mixing the powdered sugar and lemon juice until smooth. Remove bread from oven, pour glaze over bread while it is hot in the pan. Allow glazed bread to cool before removing from the pan.