New Year, new classic recipe to start off this year. Nothing beats a REAL pound cake, complete with butter, sugar, eggs, flour and vanilla extract. I made this classic cream cheese pound cake for dessert tonight and the question asked was “Why is it called pound cake?” Well, I thought it might be because it weighs a good pound or two when it is baked or could it be I weigh a good pound more after eating it! However, history states the name originated in Europe because you used one pound each of butter, sugar, flour and eggs. Now that would be some cake!
My recipe is simple, good and easy to prepare. I love to add fresh strawberries or other fruit with whipped cream. My guys love ice cream on top. Add a glaze of lemon, lime or orange juice if you want a zesty flavor. I like to “dust” mine with powered sugar, reminds me of the snow falling outside today. The best part of good old plain pound cake is toasting it with butter in the morning, add a cup of tea and the snow outside doesn’t seem so bad. Just think you will burn up all the calories shoveling the snow, so have another piece and a cup of tea.
- 3 Cups all purpose Flour
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 3 Sticks of Butter, room temperature
- 1 Block of Cream Cheese 8oz., room temperature
- 3 Cups of Sugar
- 6 Eggs, room temperature
- 1 ½ Teaspoon Vanilla extract
- ¼ teaspoon of Almond extract
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Grease and Flour a Bundt pan
- Beat butter, cream cheese and sugar together in a large mixing bowl until light and fluffy.
- Beat in eggs alternating with dry ingredients, mixing well, add vanilla and almond extracts mix until combined.
- Pour batter into prepared pan. Bake 1 ½ hours or until a toothpick inserted in the center of the cake comes out clean. Cool, remove cake and dust with powdered sugar.